Monday, January 12, 2015

Growing with Girlfriends


The last few years have been wake up call for me, in terms of girlfriends. I have loud friends, shy friends, happy friends and sad friends. I expected my relationships with each friend to be the same. Girl, was I wrong! I realized that I was sabotaging my friendships by making them fit into a cookie cutter idea of what a friend should be. At the time, I expected a friend to be loyal, exclusive, inclusive, outgoing, entertaining..how unfair!

Why weren't my friends meeting up to MY expectations? News flash, it was ME! How wrong was it for me to expect my friends to cater to my needs? If I could go back, I'd slap myself. I found a beautiful book called, Grown Up Girlfriends by Erin Smalley and Carrie Oliver and my life was changed. Every page applied to my life and my distorted expectations of girlfriend relationships. I am still being changed by the words in this book. I promise that you will feel the same!

Reading this book opened my eyes to the baggage I was bringing into my grown up relationships. The deep scars from my high school years were definitely still fresh wounds on the arms of my grown up relationships.  I wasn't 16, 18 or even 24 anymore. Time to grow up!

If you have wonderful friends that are supportive and loving, or have friends that you don't understand why they won't include you, I encourage you to read this book. It changed my views on girlfriends and definitely helped me find grown up girlfriends.


No comments:

Post a Comment